First Looks! What is it? Is it a good fit for your wedding day or not?
A first look is typically an intimate and emotional moment when the couple sees each other for the first time on their wedding day prior to the ceremony.
There are lots of practical benefits to doing a first look that help with such as your timeline. By seeing each other before your ceremony, you are able to get the wedding party portraits done and this either allows for more family photos after the ceremony OR it allows the couple enjoy more of their cocktail hour. Yes, more time to enjoy all those fancy drinks and hors d'oeuvres you picked out... need I say more?
However, as helpful as a first look can be, I don't advise couples to make such a big decision solely on what is most practical for the timeline. BUT there are so many other meaningful reasons to include a first look on your wedding day so here are a few of my favorites!
1. Yes, the benefit of freeing up some time after the ceremony should always be considered. This may allow you less stress and more time to enjoy even some of the little things throughout your day.
2. Alone time! After a morning spent with a thousand things to do to get ready and everyone rushing to pull everything together in the final moments, the chaos can be a big distraction from the joy of marrying your best friend. Doing a first look allows the couple to tune out the noise and soak up those final moments before walking down the aisle together.
3. Because this gets to be an intimate moment between just you two, and without all eyes on you or the stress of making sure you don't trip down the aisle, it's likely you'll be more present, more connected and possibly even remember the moment better even years and years later.
4. Getting to see your person on your wedding day will always calm your nerves and flushing those nerves away before walking down the aisle can make you feel more connected as you walk down the aisle.
5. Lastly, the moment of seeing your person standing at the alter or walking down the aisle is an unforgettable moment full of all the best emotions whether you DID or DID NOT see each other before this moment, it's an experience that can't be watered down by anything.
I'm Claire and I'm so happy you're here. This blog is a journal about all things wedding, portraits, style, and business. Stay a while and say hello!
The Claire nicole photography Wedding guide
Ready to dive into planning your wedding? To help, I’ve created this step-by-step guide going through everything you need to know about how to plan a wedding, including tips on how to choose the perfect location, book your vendors, and truly enjoy the planning process and be present throughout your wedding day.